(the misadventures of an expatriate corporate dropout)

Monday, April 28, 2008

another reason to love Kiva.

Sorry if you tire of my odes to Kiva, but today another example of why I love Kiva occurred. Because I can loan as little as $25 through Kiva, I have loans around the world. One of them is to a Kenyan man, Moses Kathanaika Chabari. He is married with one child and lives in a one room house with his family. Moses sells tomatoes in Kongowea market in Mombasa, a Kenyan coastal town. Moses needed a loan to increase his profit and improve his family life.

Shortly after Moses made his first loan payment, unbelievable strife broke out throughout Kenya. From news reports and information provided by Kiva, it was widely expected that many loans would go unpaid or as potential write-offs. Many individuals were killed or fled for their lives with only the clothes on their backs.

Although some lenders decided to forgive their loans, we were urged to wait and see what would transpire. The Kenyans are a very proud and honest people and would not want their loans to remain unpaid, if there were any means possible to recover. Today, after a five month silence, I was notified that Moses posted a payment. I was so gratified and relieved to hear that Moses was alive, and has returned to his business. And that, in some small way, I can reach way around the world and provide assistance. By lending a hand, not a hand out.

I'm telling you folks, I get far more out of the Kiva program than I contribute. And so will you.

Kiva - loans that change lives

No comments: