(the misadventures of an expatriate corporate dropout)

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

bellying up to the bar.

zut alors!

I broke my promise but as a nagging feeling warned me ... pas du internet chez moi

I am back where I first began ... a fitting return I suppose ... still trying to sort out if my problem is my computer or my brain, so in the meantime I have returned to the little bar, the one computer in town with public access and one hour to sort through a couple hundred messages and an update for you.

My return was planes trains automobiles redux, only with three times the suitcases.

My welcome home was "formidable", all I hoped for and more. It is ever so nice to know one has been missed.

The dogs are A OK and there is no heat to speak of in my house with weather in the teens. So, of course that is the order of the day. I will explain more in time ...

Sleep and thus proper thought patterns and a good deal of my language progress have been diminished but I shall persevere.

I am home, in every sense of the word, and anxious to share more. Soon.

5 comments:

La Framéricaine said...

Sois la bienvenue chez toi, Chérie!

You have been missed--at home and abroad, no doubt about it. It is going to be interesting to catch up on your reflections of bicultural-itude because you were in West Coast, USA, you decamped in July 2008, you set up base camp in Brantôme, and then returned briefly to West Coast, USA in December 2008. Now you are back to your life-in-progress in Brantôme. I'm getting dizzy just thinking about it. You must be whirling!

I hope that you get rest, heat, and internet in your home in copious quantities and in that order.

Bises and best wishes for a Happy New Year in la belle France.

amy said...

Welcome back! If you need to warm up we're here. Hope to see you soon.

The Frogblogger said...

The French internet is rather like the indigenous people, capricious and liable to sulk for no apparent reason, so it is probably reacting to being abandoned over the holidays and suffering from the cold. It will turn itself on again when it feels like it. Ringing the helpline usually only makes things worse, with someone in French-speaking Africa trying to persuade you to delete numerous programs from your computer that are allegedly disrupting the system, despite you knowing perfectly well that everything was just fine before with said software then perfectly harmless.

That is assuming you can get through to the helpline in the first place!

Vive la France... :-)

Randal Graves said...

If it's that cold, best break out the ax and start chopping. Wood, not humans.

Our Juicy Life said...

sorry to hear no heat.....bust out the kerosene heater, it's our best friend, freaking fire is OK but nothing like the jet engine from the heater. Welcome home though, to the coldest winter france has seen in a long time. burrrrr